4 1/4 Liter
Open 2 Seater Tourer
Chassis # B55KU
Engine # B7BK
One of the little known English coachbuilders was the Carlton Carriage Company. They started life as the Kelvin Carriage Co. but changed the name in 1926 when the business moved. Bentley records show that only six 4 1/4 liter cars had Carlton coachwork and this is the only open two seat tourer. This car is sleek and sporty looking and was quite a bit lighter then most other 4 1/4 Liter cars. It has early racing history at such event as the R.A.C. Blackpool Rally and the J.C.C. Brooklands Rally in 1939.
This car was delivered new on September 1937 to Gordon G. Wood, Esq. of Surrey England. Chassis B55KU competed in the R.A.C. Blackpool Rally and the J.C.C. Brooklands Rally in 1939. The car came to the USA in 1966 and was resurrected by Dale Power who had the car completely restored in 1993. In 1999 the car was bought by Bill Jacobs who enjoyed it for many years. Mr. Jacobs went through the car in 2010 and is just now finished.
The Derby Bentley's are some of the most sought after pre-was cars built. W.O. Bentley had created the wining combination of performance, reliability, and craftsmanship with the 4 1/4 liter cars during that time. All of the well known coachbuilders were lining up to create their special bodies on these outstanding chassis. The 4 1/4 liter cars production ran from 1936 through 1939, of which only 1,241 were built.
click image to view next